Wednesday, November 19, 2003

They're Dropping Like Flies!

Good gravy, what on earth is happening with the Broadway season?!? First, Bobbi Boland bites the dust in previews, and now The Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All is gone after one performance. Brutal. Perhaps the economy is hitting the pockets of investors harder than anticipated. Alternately, the producers could just be smart and pulling obvious duds out of the house before they have a chance to do long-term financial damage.

(By the by, those wanting the gossipy version of Farrah's non-debut should check out Riedel in the NY Post. Yes, I'm a hypocrite for referring you the Taboo-basher, but I also didn't buy the "whoops-this-house-is-too-big" line. John Leguizamo had no problem filling the stage with his ONE-MAN SHOW, Freak.)

Speaking of Taboo, it looks like the show might be as muddled as the pre-opening gossip suggested. That's a shame, as the premise had potential, and I've heard from multiple sources that the music is fantastic. I'm going to do my best to catch it before it closes...darlings.

Edited to add: This Time article not only dares to defend Taboo, but also asks the burning question: "How has Cats, the most successful musical in Broadway history (and an adventurous one in its day) come to be a synonym for mass-audience schlock?" I'm curious, too, as I find musicals like Miss Saigon and Jekyll and Hyde far more offensively bad than I ever found Cats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home