Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Talk Amongst Yourselves

It's curtains for Taboo on February 8th.

What can I say about Taboo that hasn't already been said, mainly in the New York Post? The songs are lovely, the book's a mess, Euan Morton and Raul Esparza are fabu, and Boy George can't act. It's a missed opportunity on all levels. I heard a rumor that a downscaled version of the show may open off-Broadway later this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

On a slight tangent, the experience of watching an actor portray Boy George while standing next to the actual Boy George has me thinking about representation, reality, and perception, and leads me to this: why isn't there a book about philosophy and the Broadway musical? With essays like "Eternal Recurrence: The Turntable and Time in Les Miserables"?

Any potential contributors, please email me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home