Friday, October 24, 2003

Your Trident, Sir.

Apparently, no one's listening to me as I rant away about the pletora of film-to-musical adaptations. The newest kid on the block? Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Potential plusses:

1. David Yazbeck wrote a kick-ass score for The Full Monty. Hopefully, he can repeat his accomplishment.

2. DRS will be reuniting Norbert Leo Butz and Sherri Rene Scott, which is always a good thing. Add Denis O'Hare, and you've got a cast worth seeing.

Potential minuses:

1. Does Dirty Rotten Scoundrels sing? It's possible that some Cole Porter/40s-style songs would play nicely, but it depends on how the book goes, and if the writers keep the light-but-serious fun of the movie.

2. I am so over Brian Stokes Mitchell. There - I've said it. Liked him in King Hedley II, but his comedic style was too broad for Fred in Kiss Me, Kate. I would think the "Michael Caine role" would require a lighter touch.

Fair warning: if anyone sings a song entitled "Oklahoma! Oklahoma!" in this musical, I will cry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home